Chief Executive Officer – Shooting Australia
Shooting Australia (SA) is recognised as the National Sporting Organisation (NSO) for the sport of shooting in Australia.
SA is recognised by Sport Australia, the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS), the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC), the Commonwealth Games Australia (CGA), the International Shooting Sports Federation (ISSF), and the Oceania Shooting Federation (OSF).
The CEO reports to the SA Board and is responsible for all facets of day-to-day operations including managing a team of approximately 16 staff delivering against agreed performance targets within the approved operational budget. Importantly, central to the role of the CEO is leading and inspiring five member based organisations and a large number of experienced and skilled volunteers across the sport toward the achievement of strategic and operational objectives.
The CEO will be focussed on transforming and growing the organisation, the challenge for this role is to enable the ongoing success of the business, continuing to respect the past while also positioning the organisation for the future. They will need to be adept at building and maintaining relationships with, and meeting the needs of, a diverse stakeholder group including members, government at all three levels, health peak bodies, NGO’s, sporting bodies, regulators, educators, academia, research institutes, business and aligned associations.
Shooting Australia is the peak body responsible for leading the growth, sustainability and success of target shooting sports in Australia. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the organisation and focussing on the following commercial and cultural aspects.
- Provide strong, effective leadership and direction to the members of SA and the broader target shooting community in Australia to promote future growth, development and promotion of the sport through well executed commercial, sport development, participation and HP related programs;
- Develop strong relationships with all SA stakeholders through establishing a high trust environment characterised by transparency which fosters collaboration across the organisation.
- In conjunction with the Board of Directors and staff, initiate, develop, and implement best practice governance structures, policies, accountability measures, risk management and planning approaches which drive productivity, performance and bring the organisational values to life;
- Ensure that SA meets and fulfils all statutory, regulatory and any other compliance obligations by virtue of funding relationships;
- Review and amend existing policies and by-laws as needed and develop new policies where appropriate (e.g. privacy legislative changes).
- In collaboration with staff and the Board of Directors initiate, develop and implement a periodic strategic plan which engages, excites and galvanises the Shooting community towards achieving the objectives;
- Develop a strategy (or strategies) which respond and address changes to the industry and society, that best utilise resources and best prepares SA for future growth and success;
- Communicate strategy in a way that generates enthusiasm, alignment and shared commitment across the staff and stakeholder network.
- Assume the overall responsibility for the management of day-to-day operations including deploying human and financial resources, managing workflow, administration and overall, driving and developing the business in order to deliver the agreed strategic objectives;
- Ensure fair and progressive human resource management practices across the organisation, including in relation to the unpaid volunteer workforce.
- Working in conjunction with the Board’s Finance and Audit Committee to develop the annual budget, ensure appropriate policies, procedures and reporting measures are in place to promote budgetary compliance and manage risk across the organisation;
- Manage SA operations and provide financial leadership in an efficient and profitable way.
- Develop stable and diverse revenue streams, underpinning the delivery of SA events and programs, member services and activities across all revenue generating areas;
- Identify strategies to create a commercially sustainable sport irrespective of Sport Australia/AIS funding;
- Secure sponsorship revenue and maximise opportunities for Government (at all levels) funding generally and for specific events.
Brand, Promotion and Marketing:
- Ensure the optimal communication and promotion of all SA activities, services and programs while building the profile of Shooting Australia through strong brand and marketing programs and partnerships;
- Identify and implement digital technology across the business and exploit emerging opportunities to connect and monetise activities;
- Effectively manage relationships with the media and present as the spokesperson for the sport, in consultation with the Chair of the Board of Directors.
- Oversee the implementation of strategies and programs to deliver on agreed high performance outcomes.
- Establish effective partnerships and relationships to increase the probability of sustained international success.
- Implement strategies and programs to grow the participant base and provide pathways for participants, athletes, coaches, officials and administrators of all ages, genders and cultures.
- Manage day-to-day relationships with funders, partners, government agencies, member organisations and other stakeholders.
Qualifications & Skills
Key qualities the successful candidate with have are;
- High energy and ability to inspire and engage people, especially members;
- Commercial acumen and the ability to deliver business outcomes;
- Highly effective leadership skills capable of succeeding in complex governance operating models;
- High integrity, a strong ‘ethical’ framework and commitment to transparency is essential for working in high performance sport and maintaining the trust of the Australian public;
- Ability to think strategically, gather information and analyse issues to develop and create solutions;
- High capacity to operate within ambiguity, highly adaptable and solution focused;
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, comfortable presenting to a diverse range of people.
How to Apply
For a confidential discussion about the role, please contact Jonathan Harris, Managing Partner ANZ at email@example.com or M: +61 (0) 413 939 993