About Sport NSW
Sport NSW is the industry body for sport in New South Wales. Sport NSW was established by State Sporting Organisations (SSOs), to be the united and collective voice of sport, to raise and respond to issues that impact on all levels of sport and to foster the future development of sport in New South Wales.
Through its membership Sport NSW represents over 15,000 clubs and associations and 2.5 million participants, workers and volunteers. Sport NSW plays a key role in strengthening the industry and strives to assist in the building of capacity, performance and recognition of member organisations, their affiliates and individuals to help maximise potential and enhance the quality of experience for participants and volunteers engaged in sport in NSW. This is achieved through a range of events, activities and professional development programs.
Sport NSW’s strategy is built on three core pillars: Advocacy, Sport Development & Collaboration and Events & Recognition. For more detail on these pillars and core strategy please see the more detailed job description attached.
Chief Executive Office
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will lead the strategic direction of Sport NSW and be responsible for the delivery of services to members. The CEO is ultimately responsible for advancing the interests of Sport NSW throughout New South Wales. The role will oversee the day-to-day management and be accountable for driving and delivering the commercial and strategic priorities as set by the Board.
To be considered for this role you will need to be a dynamic and motivated leader, with the ability to engage and develop lasting, positive relationships with a diverse range of member organisations and other key stakeholders. Your commercial acumen will be matched by your skill in identifying and
The CEO will be expected to lead and oversee the delivery of the following key areas:
- Direct, and be fully responsible for the continual development and improvement of all operations of the organisation in accordance with the authority delegated by the Board of Directors including membership, external stakeholder management, finance and budgeting, public relations and marketing.
- Provide consistent high level advice to the Board of Directors on operations, policy and planning.
- Ensure and be responsible for overall budget management, compliance requirements including risk management, and future development and growth of the business.
- Focus the activities of the organisation on the strategic directions established by the Board and management and report on these achievements.
- Build relationships with all members across NSW and allied State and National bodies so that the message of working for the same goal is expanded throughout the sporting community.
- Play a lead advocacy role in representing Sport NSW and the industry in developing and maintaining sound working relationships with NSW Minister for Sport, the NSW Office of Sport and other government and non-government agencies.
- Market and monitor the Membership Program, to increase member numbers and their overall interaction with Sport NSW.
- Manage the delivery of Sport NSW annual programs of events and forums.
- Manage the delivery of all education programs and represent at key industry educational bodies such as Sport & Recreation Industry Advisory Committee.
- Provide support to member organisations as requested by them i.e. governance assistance, member protection matters, interpretation of new legislation etc.
- Manage the business of Sport NSW in a way that ensures its on-going financial sustainability, including the development of new income streams i.e. sponsorship and services to members.
- Pursue, support and promote diversity, inclusiveness and gender equality within the organisation and throughout the sporting community of NSW.
You will need to demonstrate a successful track record in managing a member-based organisation and working with volunteers. You will have the skill to navigate through complex issues prioritising, managing and delivering outcomes that fulfil the commercial and strategic priorities of Sport NSW and have experience in working with State & Federal Ministers and state departments.
This is a unique opportunity to lead, represent and support the sport industry in NSW in order to encourage and assist more people to enjoy the immense benefits that sport can provide for individuals and communities.
The role will require a range of personal and professional skills, including:
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant area.
- An understanding of the workings and demands of a sport and/or membership based organisation.
- An understanding or ability to lead a peak sporting body which operates within a strategic membership support framework.
- A proven record of managing the financial operations of an organisation in a transparent, efficient and professional manner. Financially savvy, with an understanding of the not for profit operating context.
- An ability to lead and provide leadership to multiple stakeholders.
- Well-developed strategic planning and implementation.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills including advanced negotiation and communication skills.
- Excellent coalition building skills, an engaging interpersonal style with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in working within a sporting organisation is desirable.
- Persuasive negotiation skills with the ability to achieve consensus amongst differing opinions.
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills with the experience to be a respected spokesperson and relationship builder.
- Action-oriented, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning and execution.
Personal and Behavioural Attributes:
- Creative, with an ability to encourage innovation and to champion new initiatives.
- A keen sense of a member as the primary customer, and an unwavering commitment to provide meaningful, targeted and relevant services.
- Ability to think strategically, analyze problems and issues, respond creatively and translate/ implement strategy into results.
- Possess the intellect, cultural competency and flexibility to work effectively in a collaborative, values-driven and energetic team.
- Numerate, with attention to detail.
- Energetic (mentally and physically), enthusiastic and driven.
- High level of personal and professional integrity.
This position is located at the Sport NSW Office at Level 2, Quad 1, 8 Parkview Drive, Sydney Olympic Park NSW. Travel throughout Sydney and NSW may be required from time-to-time.
Please send your CV along with a detailed cover letter, by Friday 28 February, to Jonathan Harris email@example.com that briefly details why you feel you would be suitable for this role in addition to your remuneration expectations.
SRI is the leading firm dedicated to the constant and growing demand for executive and management talent in sports, media and entertainment. Our expert advisers provide search and consulting services operating as a global team, combining deep sector knowledge with world-class and cutting-edge talent acquisition and management practice.