Squash Australia is the national governing body for Squash in Australia, as recognised by the Professional Squash Association and the World Squash Federation. A smaller program within the AIS, but with a rich history of success at World Championship and Commonwealth Games. Australia won 2 gold and a bronze medal at Gold Coast 2018 and it is therefore well-funded and strategically important sport
Squash has enjoyed good operational success in recent times with participation growth of c100,000 to c125,000. One of the legacies of the2018 Commonwealth Games has been the development of the National Squash Centre (NSC) as a Centre of Excellence for the Sport which will continue to pay dividends in the years ahead.
Board & Strategy
With a new board elected in late 2019, and a new President, the board seek a Chief Executive Officer to renew and reinvigorate the leadership of Squash and continue the growth of the sport through to the Birmingham Commonwealth Games and beyond.
The priority for the new CEO will be to continue the growth of the Sport set down in the 2016-2022 Strategy. The CEO must work effectively across the federated structure of Squash to increase engagement and build consensus across States, Member Associations and Clubs and develop and deliver consensus across the Sport further growth from 2022 and beyond.
The CEO of Squash Australia will provide leadership, collaboration and renewed direction across the Sport. They will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day management and delivering on the strategic priorities as agreed with the Board.
The role requires developing and maintaining strong and effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders including the Australian Institute of Sport, Commonwealth Games Association, and crucially Squash leadership at a State level.
The CEO will need to be a hands-on leader for their staff, to motivate and inspire their team, and be a mentor for the future leaders within the organisation. The CEO will need to lead and support across all aspects of the Sport including; Operations, Finance, High-Performance, Events, Commercial and Communications.
Strategy, Stakeholder-Management and Communications will be important, but the Board seek an individual to lead a culture of efficiency and robust financial control.
It is important the successful candidate has a strong understanding of the Sport Australia / AIS ecosystem, leading advocacy and unlocking opportunity for the Sport at all level of government. However, it is also that the individual brings a commercial mindset and are able to identify new and alternative revenue streams for the sustained success and growth of the sport.
The Chief Executive Officer will be expected to manage and oversee the delivery of the following key duties for and on behalf of the Squash Australia Board:
- Management – Assume the overall responsibility for the management of the day to day operations of Squash Australia, including all the human and financial resources, driving and developing the business consistent with the agreed strategic priorities.
- Leadership – provide strong, effective leadership and direction to the Squash Australia family of stakeholders and the sport of squash generally throughout Australia ensuring future development and promotion through well executed commercial, sport and event related programs.
- Planning and Policy – In conjunction with the Board of Directors, staff, Committees and membership, initiate, develop, and implement a corporate vision for Squash Australia to achieve the stated goals and aims across the organisation.
- Revenue – develop stable and diverse revenue streams, underpinning the delivery of Squash Australia’s programs, services and activities.
- Financial – In conjunction with the Board, manage Squash Australia’s operations in a transparent, efficient and profitable way.
- Promotion and Marketing – Ensure the optimal development and promotion of all Squash Australia’s activities, services and programs while building the profile of Squash through strong brand and communication programmes and robust marketing alliances.
- Representation and Relationships – Provide effective and active representation of Squash Australia at all levels, developing and enhancing relationships with the squash stakeholder family, including funding agencies such as Federal, State and Local Government.
- Winning Culture – provide the foundation for Squash Australia’s players and teams to perform at the best of their ability. Ensure strategies and practices are in place to enable the optimum performance of Squash Australia teams in domestic and international competitions.
- Grow the sport – Implement strategies and practices to grow the participant base and provide pathways for players, coaches, officials and administrators of all ages and cultures throughout Australia.
- Customer service – Build and maintain Squash Australia’s reputation as a first-class service organisation, driving and developing a service culture across the organisation as a whole.
- An understanding the structure of Australian sport e.g. community, state, and performance, and the interplay between participation, performance, and commercial growth in Sport.
- Demonstrated knowledge of how boards operate and what boards will ask of a CEO.
- Understanding of government funding and the commercial aspects of running a sport business.
- Understanding of the complex and political nature of the system; understanding how to navigate the macro environment to get results for a high-performing program.
- Navigating through complex issues and competing agendas and to prioritise, manage and deliver outcomes that meet strategic objectives.
- Articulating a vision; explaining the benefits and getting buy in to a vision; painting the picture for the future; embedding behaviours aligned to delivering the vision.
- Building and maintaining trusting relationships at board and executive levels.
- Communicating to a broad audience; taking complex issues and articulating the message in an understandable and relatable way.
- Executing a long-term strategy.
- Managing the operational, commercial, and financial performance of an organisation and delivering positive outcomes.
- Identifying and developing talent through coaching and performance feedback; experience attracting, developing, and retaining key talent.
To apply, candidates should send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Letter of application highlighting relevant experience and details of current remuneration
- An up to date CV.
To discuss the role please contact James Curtis on 0451942070.
SRI is a boutique global executive search and consulting firm focused on Sport, Media & Entertainment.
We work as one partner-led team with staff based in key global markets across eleven offices on four continents.
We offer dedicated and specific sector, function and region expertise. Our services include executive search, board assessment, succession planning, salary benchmarking, advising clients on their internal and external hiring strategy, new market entry and multi-vacancy projects.