Head of Communications & Media (12 Month Maternity Contract) – IRONMAN
IRONMAN Oceania operates a portfolio of events that includes the IRONMAN® and IRONMAN® 70.3® Triathlon Series, premier running events The Sun-Herald City2Surf®, Sydney Half Marathon, Runaway Noosa Marathon, Auckland Marathon, Queenstown Marathon Tarawera Ultra and Ultra-Trail Australia™, mountain bike races including The Epic® Series and other multisport races, including Noosa and Mooloolaba Triathlon.
IRONMAN Oceania is the largest operator of mass participation sports in the region with more than 200,000 participants annually. Beginning as a single race in 1978, the iconic the IRONMAN® brand and its athletes have proven that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE® by crossing finish lines around the world.
Scope of Assignment
The IRONMAN Group develop, own and manage mass participation sporting events and is the world’s largest running, triathlon and mountain biking events company. The IRONMAN Group in Oceania has a diverse portfolio of events across a range of endurance categories, targeting over 180,000 athletes annually across 27 events.
Working within the IRONMAN Oceania Team, the Head of Communications & Media is responsible for the PR/Media, Digital Media and Graphic Design for the Oceania region.
The Head of Communications & Media will assume responsibility for leading the overall Communications strategy including PR/Media for all IRONMAN events in the Oceania region & the corporate communications strategy that grows the profile of the business; leading the Digital Advertising strategies that deliver the budgeted athlete numbers; and leading a highly efficient Graphic Design department that meets the needs of the business.
In addition to this, the Head of Communications & Media will:
- Lead the Communications & Media team for the Oceania region to create a high performing culture that champions the customer and the brands, focuses on our overall marketing objectives and achieving athlete numbers.
- Ensure all staff are aligned with and working well, with regional and global counterparts.
- Develop a team culture that lives by the company values and behaviors that underpin our success.
- Manage effective working relationship with external Media/PR agencies.
Media / PR
- In conjunction with the VP Marketing, Oceania and the global Media team, lead the development and execution of new & innovative Media/PR strategies that deliver maximum media coverage of our events and helps us engage with new audiences.
- Lead the Media team to discover highly aspirational athlete stories and find new innovative ways to tell them, that will help humanise the sport, inspire other athletes and community members and grow participation.
- Work closely with the Event Marketing Director and Marketing Programs Director to develop comprehensive and creative media strategies that align with and help achieve our marketing objectives at an event level, vertical level and customer level.
- Overall responsibility for media plans for all IRONMAN Oceania events that help deliver the event marketing objectives, grow media coverage, build the event brands, raise the event profiles, assist partnership relationships and help deliver on targeted entry numbers.
- Overall responsibility for the media Ambassador strategy that ensures our key ambassadors deliver strong media coverage and add value to our events.
- Build strong working relationships with both general, lifestyle and sport specific media (triathlon, running, cycling, MTB) so our media partners are engaged with and covering our events.
- Overall management and key contact for strategic Media relationships across the business that help grow profile of our events, including but not limited to Nine Media, AMB, Cyclist Magazine, Runners World, Fitter Radio.
- Ensure our Media reporting and insights are adding value to the business, reviewed and learnings used to further develop our media strategies.
- Lead the development and execution of our Corporate PR strategy that elevates the company profile and ensures The IRONMAN Group in Oceania is known and recognized as the unequivocal market leader in endurance sports.
- Deliver corporate Media coverage that increases awareness, understanding and brand preference of IRONMAN within the Australia & New Zealand business market, which is a tool for opening doors to sponsorship opportunities and sales.
- Elevate profile of Managing Director and other key staff, including featuring as regular ‘expert/opinion’ contributors in media.
Digital Media & Platforms
- Lead the overall Digital Marketing strategy across all digital platforms, that delivers the budgeted athlete counts within the most efficient spend across our portfolio of events.
- Review current structure of digital advertising management and spend, including agency structure; to ensure best possible efficiencies, ROI and spend. This will include reviewing bringing the execution of our digital advertising inhouse.
- Work closely with the Event Marketing Director, Global VP of Digital and Marketing Managers to ensure we are executing the most efficient digital advertising strategy.
- Overall management of our Mobile App strategy and management of relationships with key suppliers, including Evento and TATA.
- Oversee IRONMAN’s website strategy, which is focused on created world class websites, design and user experience, that brings our event brands to life, engages our customer base, increases website traffic and conversion rates, and supports the goal of reaching targeted entry numbers.
- Overall leadership of design team and department processes, including but not limited to briefing process & documents, workflow management, sign-off processes and hardware/software; that creates a highly efficient team that delivers on time, on brief and on brand.
- Work closely with the Event Marketing Director and Marketing Programs Director to understand event brands and key customer insights; that allow the design team to create leading edge design solutions that’s customer and brand led.
- Work with key stakeholders internally to understand business design needs and priorities and manage their expectations.
- Carry out other tasks as reasonably requested by the VP Marketing Oceania, Global CMO or MD of Oceania.
- All IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 events in Oceania
- All Running and Trail events in Oceania
- All Triathlon & Multisport events in Oceania
- All Mountain biking & Cycling events in Oceania
- Other new events acquired or developed in the region
Skills & Experience Required
- Track record in a senior marketing role with demonstrated successful marketing planning and execution in the mass participation sector.
- Tertiary qualifications in Marketing, with a minimum of eight years marketing communications, media, public relations experience
- Experience in creating and building brand strategy and bringing to life.
- Experience in the development and execution of publicity strategies for events and / sports
- Good relationships and existing network with media contacts
- Ability to manage and lead a high performing marketing team
- Proven organisational and planning skills and the ability to make decisions and achieve strict deadlines with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal & email)
- Outstanding strategic and tactical marketer
- Strong leadership and people skills
- Creative and able to generate fresh, original ideas
- Excellent organizational skills, time management and attention to detail
- Process oriented and meticulous attention to detail
- Comfortable in delegation and problem solving
- Flexible and adaptable with ability to lead and manage pressure situations
- Ability to foster and work in a team environment.
Applicants must have the right to work permanently in Australia.
Please send your CV along with a detailed cover letter to James Curtis that briefly details why you feel you would be suitable for this role and send to email@example.com
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
SRI is the leading firm dedicated to the constant and growing demand for executive and management talent in sports, media and entertainment. Our expert advisers provide search and consulting services operating as a global team, combining deep sector knowledge with world-class and cutting-edge talent acquisition and management practice.
With offices in Australia, China, Germany, Hong Kong, Singapore, Switzerland, the UK, and the USA, we are the largest search firm specialising in sports, media and content, technology, sporting goods and fashion and esports.