Competitions Director – World Rugby
World Rugby is the world governing and law-making body for the sport of Rugby Union based in Dublin. In addition to its governance functions World Rugby organises a number of international tournaments and events including the Rugby World Cup, Women’s Rugby World Cup and the annual HSBC Rugby Sevens World Series and Women’s Sevens World Series Competitions.
World Rugby is now seeking to appoint a new Competitions Director.
The Competitions Director will play a significant role in shaping World Rugby’s global activities.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and working closely with other senior colleagues across the organisation, the Competitions Director will ensure the continued and effective development and delivery of World Rugby’s competition strategy.
The Competitions Director will lead close collaboration across the organisation to ensure success in complex multi-stakeholder environments.
Extensive experience of competitions strategy, structures and delivery is required. An in-depth knowledge of international sport is preferable, with knowledge and passion for rugby union considered an advantage.
- Contribute to and drive the implementation of World Rugby’s competition strategy, with a particular focus on the annual senior and age grade competitions (15s and 7s, Men’s and Women’s)
- Collaborate with the Regional Associations in the development of their competition strategies and oversee the regional competitions funding support programme
- Promote integrity and the values of World Rugby in all dealings.
- Work closely with and collaborate with other senior colleagues on the organisation’s overall strategic plans.
- Provide effective leadership and development for the team driving a culture of high performance and accountability.
- Ensure clearly defined roles and responsibilities and promote efficiency across the teams.
- Evaluate and support all team members and promote continuing professional development.
- Establish appropriate operational structures, effective processes and policies for the Competitions team.
- Ensure that the organisation’s departments and functions contribute to the success of the competitions delivered.
- Manage the relationships with hosts, organising committees and World Rugby’s union partners, having oversight on all contractual obligations, budgets, and communications with relevant stakeholders.
- Provide expert insight and guidance to member Unions and external stakeholders.
- Represent the sport at a senior level with relevant external stakeholders such as the IOC.
Qualifications & Experience
- Inspirational leader with proven track record of leading multidisciplinary teams.
- Significant senior-level experience in a similar leadership position in an international sports organisation.
- Experienced negotiator in an international context
- Excellent communications skills, written and oral.
- Solid commercial knowledge and understanding are essential.
- Strong experience of managing major event budgets.
- Demonstrable success of leading complex projects in multi-stakeholder environments.
- Keen sense of priorities for efficient management of projects and deliverables.
- Fluency in more than one language an advantage particularly French or Spanish.
Key Skills & Personal Attributes
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Able to work independently under pressure and within a matrixed environment
- Strong team player, maintains energy and momentum
- Strategically sound; sees the big picture, long term thinker
- Attention to detail
- Highly motivated with a strong work ethic
- This role requires extensive international travel, often at short notice
- Tact and diplomacy
- Able to operate effectively in a multicultural environment
- Project management
- Relationship management
- Event management
- Resource planning
How to Apply
SRI is a boutique global executive search and consulting firm, servicing the rapidly converging industries of media, entertainment, technology and sport.
We work as one partner-led team with staff based in key global markets across 11 offices on four continents. We offer dedicated and specific sector, function and region expertise. Our services include executive search, board assessment, succession planning, salary benchmarking, advising clients on their internal and external hiring strategy, new market entry and multivacancy projects.
We’re proud to be the exclusive partner of World Rugby on this important search.
To apply, candidates should send the following information to WRCompDir@sriexecutive.com
- Letter of application highlighting relevant achievements and experience
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae
- Details of current remuneration
Applications close on Wednesday the 22nd of July at 6pm