Director of Data and Digital – England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB)
Who we are
The England and Wales Cricket Board is the national governing body for all cricket in England and Wales, supporting the game at every level – from grassroots to professional.
We know that cricket is a force for good and makes an enduring impact on people’s lives. It provides great entertainment. It teaches important skills, both physical and social. It can help inclusion and social cohesion. It’s something for everyone to watch, play, or enjoy across genders, age, disability and diverse communities.
STRONGER AS ONE TEAM
We are stronger together. We allow for individual strengths and beliefs but head in the same direction. We respect, support and really listen to each other along the way.
PUSH NEW BOUNDARIES
We are bold, brave and curious. We challenge and don’t settle. We forge the future whilst remembering our roots.
PASSION FOR PLAY
We are here to inspire & be inspired. We are serious about what we do, but don’t take ourselves seriously. We enjoy the journey and have fun.
BE THE BEST IN THE GAME, ON AND OFF THE PITCH
We train hard. We strive to be our best to help the team be the best. We celebrate our victories and learn from our let-downs.
- Data and digital are at the heart of cricket’s ambition to inspire a generation to say that “cricket is a game for me”. Our digital products give our most loyal fans their fullest and deepest experience of cricket. Our digital channels are the front door to the game for new audiences, the easiest route to engaging with cricket. Our digital tools enable men and women, boys and girls, to pick up a bat and ball and participate in organised cricket all around the country.
- Data is the glue that holds all this activity together, allowing us to measure our impact and iterate our approach across a federated, aggregated audience for cricket spanning both physical and digital engagement with the game. We are looking for a proven leader to help refine, lead and deliver our data and digital vision, and drive our data-led commercial strategy.
- We now need an exceptional, experienced individual who can pull together the varied strands of our data and digital strategy in order to ensure we deliver the best possible digital solutions to fans and to our partners across the cricket network.
- This is a highly visible role, reporting to the Chief Commercial Officer, and will influence our digital transformation journey across the whole organisation, as well as manage our existing digital portfolio and grow our digital offering.
- There also exists the opportunity to shape The Hundred – one of the largest ‘start-ups’ in UK sports history, and by design a digital-first competition.
- In line with our strategic ambitions, define the vision and strategy for Data, Digital & Product.You will have full accountability for the success of this plan.
- Own the development and maintenance of all digital faces to:
– Customers: including ECB.co.uk and, the app, and web portfolio for The Hundred
– Partners: including owning the digital tools that help facilitate organised cricket at all levels
- Design new ways of working that increase the data capture of the organisation and increase the quantity and quality of strategically and commercially valuable data accessible to the organisation.
- Develop and deliver a commercial insights strategy that leverages existing data and develops future opportunities to generate valuable data. This should be aligned with the commercial strategy.
- Embed a digital mindset across the business by working with other functional and business unit leads, helping to educate and influence changes to ways of working and roles and responsibilities.
- Deliver digital products and content experiences which are highly regarded and create an outstanding customer (internal and external) experience.
- Act as the leader and key ambassador for the data and digital function, readily promoting the team and the work being delivered.
- Overall accountability of the data and digital product portfolio in the context of the wider business strategy.
- Make strategic financial decisions regarding investment in capital and resources.
- Define, implement, measure, and analyse key KPIs to assess performance of digital products and services and ensure that all business decisions are based on data analysis insights and drive value for the customer.
- Manage a multi-million-pound budget and be accountable for the relationships required to successfully deliver on the short, medium, and long-term data and digital vision set out by the leadership team.
Responsibilities – Business Partnership
- Lead our engagement with current and potential digital partners across the industry, including social and channel distribution, syndication, and content build and measurement agencies.
- Act in partnership with the wider cricket network, understanding stakeholder perspectives and ensuring that digital and data benefits are felt right across the game.
- Form strong working relationships with the ECB senior leadership team to ensure that digital thinking is embedded across the organisation and that the digital team is plugged into and can deliver wider organisational objectives.
- Work with the marketing function to support marketing campaigns and strategies to improve product adoption/ engagement, brand awareness, and growth.
- Take clear ownership of the delivery of all digital products and services across the organisation, working with business unit leads in understanding the future needs and requirements for these digital products and services.
- Collaborate closely with leadership in strategic planning and share accountability with them for benefit realisation.
Responsibilities – Capability Development
- Establish a data and digital capability to design, develop, and operate product and services, working with the Chief Commercial Officer and Head of Technology to ensure alignment.
- Build on the strong existing content portfolio to develop an ‘always-on’ approach that engages cricket’s audiences all-year-round.
- Establish organisational and governance structures to support a digital way of working and develop governance for product delivery that effectively manages the delivery of product strategy that identifies priorities and critical initiatives, understanding their interdependencies and resource requirements.
- Establish a resourcing strategy and plan to provide the right blend of external expertise and in-house capability.
- Evaluate and establish strategic alliances with key technology vendors and partners.
- Manage and implement programs for required structures and capabilities.
- Ensure ways of working are defined, clear, and understood and are being consistently followed.
- Ensure teams and role responsibilities are clear and embedded in day-to-day activity.
- Build a motivated function through empowering teams to take ownership of product development that adapts, develops, and grows through continuous feedback and improvement.
- A highly experienced leader with proven experience in defining and delivering a vision for a customer-focused data and digital function.
- Passionate about data and digital products and proven skills and experience in a customer experience driven environment.
- Proven experience as a senior level Head-of or functional leadership experience with P&L accountability.
- Energetic, positive, and evangelical about the opportunities of digital, but willing to take people with you at different paces.
- Track record of managing multi-functional digital teams to deliver high performance.
- Strong influencing skills and experience of working in complex stakeholder environments. We need the ability to build positive arguments, put together professional business plans/reports, and present at board level.
- Credible, articulate and well-presented; you must have gravitas and be an ambassador.
- Excellent stakeholder management and polished communication skills. That is, a personable character who is able to interact and communicate across all cultures and business levels, internal and external with partner and suppliers.
- Good delegation and coaching skills. You will be highly comfortable in empowering individuals and product teams.
- Act quickly and decisively using good judgement in making decisions and working under own initiative.
- Strong business acumen and good level of commercial awareness. Be results oriented.
- Energetic and engaging; be able to inspire and influence teams and senior management alike
- Practical and proactive and have a hands-on style and approach.
- Proven ability to remain focused even when facing alternative arguments and heavy workload.
- Proven experience of working closely with/within marketing functions to deliver digital product solutions.
- Experience of successfully developing web and mobile products through initial conception through to launch and on-going development.
- High awareness of loyalty trends, products and tools.
- Six Figure Salary (commensurate with experience)
- 25 days of holiday
- Private medical insurance
- Non-contributory 8% pension
- Life assurance
- Free on-site gym
- Subsidised canteen
- 30% discount on New Balance items
Applications must be submitted via SRI’s Apply Now button above.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, SRI are only able to respond to successful candidates. To ensure you are kept up to date with all our new roles please sign up to receive our job alerts.