Netball Queensland have an ambitious vision of becoming a world-class sports organisation, respected for transforming lives through netball.
To achieve this vision, Netball Queensland must push the limits. Shaping a performance culture and delivering world class performance starts with assembling the right team and creating an environment where that team can thrive.
Following a season-end High Performance Review, the opportunity exists for a driven, results oriented professional to lead the high performance system in Queensland and embed a world leading culture of excellence.
As part of the Executive team, reporting to the CEO, the High Performance Director is responsible for all facets of the high performance system in Queensland.
The High Performance Director will lead the design, implementation and review of all aspects of the high performance environment. This includes working closely with the CEO to inculcate a strong Queensland Firebirds Club culture where all staff, coaches and players understand they play a critical role in the organisation’s success on and off the court.The ultimate objective is to achieve consistent, sustainable individual and team success for Queensland at both a national and international level.
This role is accountable for the success of the Queensland Firebirds, Queensland Fusion, the Emerging Talent Program and the Elite Development Program. It will also drive the list management for the Firebirds, including the development of engaging recruitment and retention strategies. Via the CEO, the role is also responsible for governance level reporting in relation to high performance strategy, policy, program development, funding and results.
More specifically, the High Performance Director role will be responsible for:
- Work collaboratively with the CEO and Board to provide strategic and operational leadership for the Queensland Firebirds Club
- Lead the planning and implementation of the Queensland Firebirds in the SSN competition
- Lead the list management for the Queensland Firebirds
- Deliver well defined and clearly communicated strategy which articulates the delivery of performance initiatives and the roles of staff and teams within the delivery workforce
- Monitor, review and provide advice on programs implemented by NQ and/or Netball Australia working with relevant staff to ensure a support services framework is maintained across the high performance pathway
- Oversee the selection process and process to identify athletes, coaches and officials to Netball Queensland high performance programs and teams including the development of areas of talent gap within the system
- Ensure a balanced approach to the short, medium and long term development of individuals and teams
Planning and Administration
- Develop a High Performance Strategy and implement effective initiatives and activities, including tracking and depth charting programs to provide optimum performance and results for NQ High Performance teams today and into the future.
- Lead the implementation of the strategy across the whole High Performance Department and subsequent reporting against KPI’s
- Oversee the research, design and implementation of performance and tracking initiatives that benefit the profiling, monitoring and charting of individuals within the Queensland pathway and that aid in the development of key benchmarks
- Prepare and present executive standard reporting to the CEO, Board and partners
- Oversee the preparation, management and acquittal of relevant funding revenues.
- Ensure best practice induction and integrity frameworks across the pathway to educate and protect program stakeholders.
Communication and Liaison
- Ensure the leaders in high performance environments meet regularly and the communication reflects a performance culture
- Always demonstrate strong leadership in communicating and role modelling performance culture behaviours and be prepared to call out behaviours that fail to meet the standards expected
- Establish and maintain relationships with key relevant external stakeholders through regular liaison, consultation and negotiation
- Provide support and direction to individuals within the performance pathway whom have been identified for elite State and National programs
- Together with the Head Coach, coordinate the List Management strategy for the Queensland Firebirds
- Represent Netball Queensland where possible at competitions, seminars and promotional functions as agree with the CEO
- Chair or provide input on any technical or review panels to which the role may be appointed
Experience & Skills
The successful candidate will possess:
- Exceptional leadership skills, with a proven ability to work with a diverse range of people, drive challenging conversations and create a performance culture
- Demonstrated success in the planning, implementation and ongoing management of cultural and organisational change
- Relevant tertiary qualifications (i.e. Management, Sports Science, Human movement, Education)
- Proven experience and accountability for high performance sport programs and delivery of outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to think and operate at the strategic level, with strong delegation skills and the ability to empower staff to work within an environment which balances autonomy and accountability
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and proven ability to work through conflict and collaborate with a diverse group of stakeholders such as elite coaches, sports sciences, sports medicine, education and technology staff
- An in depth understanding of the structure and dynamics of high performance sport in Australia, including the interrelationships at local, state and national level
- Demonstrated ability to manage financial resources, including program and departmental budgets
- Commitment to travel and work interstate / overseas as required and acknowledge that ‘outside normal working hours’ is an expectation of the role.
How to Apply
Please send your CV along with a detailed cover letter to James Curtis firstname.lastname@example.org that briefly details why you feel you would be suitable for this role in addition to your remuneration expectations.
You can call James on +61 (0) 451 942 070.
SRI is the leading firm dedicated to the constant and growing demand for executive and management talent in sports, media and entertainment. Our expert advisers provide search and consulting services operating as a global team, combining deep sector knowledge with world-class and cutting-edge talent acquisition and management practice.
Applications must be submitted via SRI’s Apply Now button above.
Applicants must have full working rights for Australia.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, SRI are only able to respond to successful candidates. To ensure you are kept up to date with all our new roles please sign up to receive our job alerts and newsletters.