Strategic Analyst – Athletics Australia
Athletics Australia is the governing body for Athletics in this country. It is a National Sporting Organisation whose major partner is Sport Australia. It is responsible for all athletics activity, including high performance, able and para-athletes, participation, coaching, officiating, juniors, domestic and international competition.
Athletics Australia has a critical role in leading, fostering and encouraging participation in athletics in Australia and promoting excellence in performance.
The Strategic Analyst is key to contributing to setting Athletics Australia (AA) up for success in the future. Our vision is to create One Sport with well-supported, seamlessly connected competitions, programs and events delivering athletic activities to all Australians.
Suiting a candidate with exceptional data insights, analytics, business modelling and reporting experience, the primary responsibility of this role is to assist the GM Sport Strategy and the CEO to deliver analysis, business modelling and project outputs to enable informed, evidence-based decision-making. The role will be responsible for supporting the execution, articulation and development of AA strategy across the organisation and in particular supporting delivery of the One Sport and One Management initiatives across the sport.
i) Data reporting, analysis, tracking & modelling
- Generate critical insights to inform project direction and decision-making;
- Proactively pursue sources of data and insights needed to complete analysis and to input into applications, business cases and strategic planning;
- Generate data capture spreadsheets, surveys, and other instruments;
- Accurately interpret, model and report on data outputs;
- Effectively demonstrate the link between data and evidence to relevant objectives anticipating variables and addressing various (alternative) pathways to success;
- Accurately and effectively communicate findings and research outcomes;
- Establish project models using methodologies that ensure the efficient and effective monitoring of project deliverable’s against timelines.
ii) Drafting key business documents & communications
- Produce engaging data models and evidentiary examples to be inserted and used in communications to drive change and develop strategy across the organisation;
- In consultation with the GM Strategic Initiatives, contribute to the drafting of:
o Business cases and collateral that articulates the value, risks, opportunities and delivery pathway; and
o Grant applications and other funding submissions, that appropriately address and link funding eligibility, program costs, tracking and outputs with AA objectives/needs.
iii) Strategic planning, support, and project reporting
In consultation with the GM, Sport Strategy and CEO:
- Conduct reviews to identify strengths and weaknesses within varying strategic contexts, to evaluate operational effectiveness;
- Track and ensure that project and department milestones are met adhering to approved budgets;
- Generate compliance and tracking reports against strategic deliverable’s across the organisation including ops planning and KPI reporting;
- Collaborate closely and regularly with the GM Sport Strategy on work planning, the iteration of solutions and workarounds as needed;
- Closely manage progress against objectives, highlighting roadblocks as soon as they arise and take responsibility for outcomes with appropriate escalation where appropriate.
iv) People & Team
- Drive specific components of a problem or opportunity as part of a team;
- Contribute to the work streams of others on the team on various projects (as required) and to solve the broader project or strategic problems being encountered by the organisation or team;
- Give and receive regular development feedback and actively contribute to creating a positive, focused and effective team environment;
- Take personal responsibility for continuous performance improvement, and for supporting the ongoing growth and success of the Athletics team against its broader objectives.
- Live by the Athletics Australia Values of Integrity, Inclusion, Innovation and Excellence through its TEAMWORK behaviours.
Knowledge & Experience
- Bachelor degree or equivalent;
- Solid experience in data insights, analytics, business modelling and reporting;
- Exceptional analytical skills;
- The ability to create engaging and informative insights reports to inform, engage and appeal to different audiences;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- A results-driven approach to work, proven personal initiative and ability to work proactively, with a strong sense of urgency;
- Resilience in response to setbacks, and an ability to anticipate and overcome barriers to success;
- A willingness to ‘chip-in’ to achieve results for the broader team;
- A natural predisposition to evidence-based problem solving and a willingness to further develop strategic problem-solving skills;
- A credible presence and ability to communicate with the executive team and other senior leaders/stakeholders;
- Capability to manage and make progress against multiple simultaneous demands in short timeframes and adapt to new challenges in a dynamic context with shifting priorities;
- Ability to respond proactively and positively to ambiguity;
- Diplomacy and influencing skills;
- High level of digital proficiency with MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Proven ability to write for a range of audiences with a particular emphasis on detail, accuracy, plain English, grammar, punctuation, formatting and style;
- Strong interpersonal skills, equipping you to facilitate teamwork and foster the cooperation of others;
- Personal integrity, drive and confidence;
- Ability to work with Member Organisations, executive and other key stakeholders to develop strategies that align to key objectives, understanding the complexities of federated models of sport.
SRI is a global executive search and consulting firm focused on sport, media, content and technology.
We work as one partner-led team with staff based in key global markets across eleven offices on four continents. We offer dedicated and specific sector, function and region expertise. Our services include executive search, board assessment, succession planning, salary benchmarking, advising clients on their internal and external hiring strategy, new market entry and multi-vacancy projects.
Please contact James Curtis email@example.com or on +61 451 942 070 for further information.
How to Apply
To apply, you should send the following:
- Letter of application highlighting relevant experience
- Up to date curriculum vitae