Melbourne Sports Centres are made up of three of Victoria’s world-class sporting facilities at Melbourne Sports & Aquatic Centre (MSAC), Lakeside Stadium and Parkville Stadium (previously known as the State Netball and Hockey Centre).
As a premier multi-sport facility in Victoria, Melbourne Sports Centres vision is to enable sporting organisations and individuals to achieve peak performance, reach their potential and deliver world-class events. The purpose at Melbourne Sports Centres is simple. They want people to be excited about sport, engage in healthy activity and feel inspired to be their best.
The MSAC Venue Manager is responsible for the overall operations of Melbourne Sports & Aquatic Centre.
The MSAC Venue Manager will lead operations teams across MSAC including Risk & Safety, Venue Preparation and Facilities Management. In addition, the MSAC Venue Manager will manage the delivery of programs across MSAC including Health & Wellness (Gym & Group Fitness Timetables), Swim School, Creche and Children’s Programs. While working collaboratively across all departments to deliver a world class venue for our sporting partners and customers every day.
As a sporting venue, it is critical the MSAC Venue Manager is available to flexible to work across a variety of hours, depending on the demands of the venue and event schedule. Out of hours, weekend and public holiday work will be required.
In responding to the SSCT operational requirements, it may be necessary for the business to vary aspects of the position from time to time and require the incumbent to complete “other” duties willing and promptly.
The following key responsibilities apply to the role of MSAC Venue Manager:
- Safety and risk management of MSAC, including leading the Operations Manager and team including Venue Responders, Lifeguards and Security.
- Delivering the venue for daily schedule of events and bookings. This includes leading the Venue Preparation Manager to ensure the venue crew are rostered efficiently and that sporting bookings and events are set up and packed down seamlessly.
- Management of facility including cleaning, planned and reactive maintenance and capex programs. Working closely with the Facilities Manager, you will ensure that the venue is presented at a high standard at all times.
- Lead the Health and Wellness Manager to operate the gym, wellness zones and group fitness timetables whilst delivering exceptional customer experience to our members and visitors.
- Lead the Programs Manager to deliver our swim school and children’s programs and provide an exceptional experience for participants.
- Work collaboratively with Trust-wide teams including Events & Bookings, Food & Beverage, Customer Experience as well as Finance, Marketing & HR. Team work and communication is critical across all areas to ensure all venues deliver a consistent approach.
Operational & Risk Management
- Monitor and ensure Standard Operating Procedures are being adhered to in all areas and appropriate corrective action or improvement is managed in a timely manner
- Manage all Occupational Health & Safety, Compliance, Risk and Emergency Management procedures with the teams to SSCT standard for all programs and services, in consultation with relevant SSCT Managers
- Develop, grow and lead a “Manager on Duty” team that will act as an extension of the executive and management teams at all times.
- Ensure all services are opened and fully operational at scheduled times, standards are maintained throughout the service, particularly delivering exceptional levels of customer care and satisfaction.
- Ensure operational and service checklists are completed thoroughly, with attention to detail focussing on safety and service led issues
- Ensure that all cash is controlled and accounted for, floats and tills are reconciled, sufficient provision of floats and sales properly maintained and that all financial controls and procedures are complied with.
- Maintain systems and registers; working with the relevant manager to ensure best practise and legal obligations are met.
- Assist in communication and training of Emergency Management across the organisation.
- Ensure compliance with any financial and related procedures and in doing so proactively monitor sales, margins and expenses, and in identifying negative variance against budget, taking appropriate action and timely remedial action
Human Resource Management
- Deliver efficiencies in rostering, therefore managing salary & wages
- Be a leader of change within the organisation
- Drive attitude and culture improvements throughout teams aligned with SSCT Ethos
- Staff are led and developed in line with organisational values, policies and procedures
- Through empowering staff, develop a highly motivated team, flexible and multi-skilled, who take pride and ownership in their work
- Facilitate, promote and co-ordinate training needs
- Ensure opportunities are created both internally and externally for employee learning and development
- Conduct regular team meetings and collect and disseminate information as required.
- Other duties as directed.
Required Skills & Knowledge
- Strong background in venue management / venue operations
- Strong planning, communication and teamwork
- Exceptional understanding of risk and safety obligations in a high profile venue
- Knowledge of risk management principles and their practical application
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to manage and motivate a large team
- Capable decision making skills
- Budget management experience
- Highly developed organisational and time management skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Hold a current Working With Children (Victoria) certificate
Applicants must have the right to work permanently in Australia.
Please send your CV by Friday 25th October along with a detailed cover letter to Josie Lahey that briefly details why you feel you would be suitable for this role and send to email@example.com / 0478803255
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
SRI is the leading firm dedicated to the constant and growing demand for executive and management talent in sports, media and entertainment. Our expert advisers provide search and consulting services operating as a global team, combining deep sector knowledge with world-class and cutting-edge talent acquisition and management practice.
With offices in Australia, China, Germany, Hong Kong, Singapore, Switzerland, the UK, and the USA, we are the largest search firm specialising in sports, media and content, technology, sporting goods and fashion and esports.